Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Heaven is for Real

I have been hearing from a multitude of people about this book that they had read called, “Heaven is for Real” by Todd Burpo. I will confess that nonfiction is not my forte. I would rather read fiction novels based on real events because it brings the past to life. However, with all I had heard about this book I couldn’t pass this one up. Now after reading it, you shouldn’t either…this moving story will give you those convicting, spine-tingling goosebumps. A story about a little boy that transforms lives by his experience in heaven after his miraculous survival during an emergency appendectomy. I know an appendectomy might seem routine, but I am a critical care nurse and can attest that a burst appendix, if not surgically and medically treated, can end in death. Unfortunately, that is what this 3-year-old boy and his family faced. After his survival, a faith-confirming story emerged. Details no 3-year-old could possibly know about the bible, heaven, hell, Jesus, faith, life, and all those things in-between. For Christians, it is a reminder of God and his infinite promises and love. For nonbelievers, it is a story proclaiming the Truth. The part that touched my heart the most was the story this little boy told of his sister he never knew, but met in heaven. Even more, when his mother was pregnant she lost this little girl at 2 months along in her pregnancy. As a mother this tugs at my heart for two reasons. First, that this preschooler could give a gift so wonderful by telling his mother that his sister is in heaven. Secondly, that a baby not yet born, no matter how small, is still a human life. My inadequate words cannot do this story justice. Hopefully, God will nudge you to read this book and truly discover what it means to have a child-like faith.

1 comment:

  1. I've seen this book for the past few weeks when I've been doing my other job, and part of me has been wondering if maybe I should break down and buy it.

    I may not be much of a reader anymore, but I'll try to give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete